Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids, Booklists and book reviews
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
All Our Stories! is a free downloadable guide to using the resources on the Discovering Children’s Books website in order to develop a rich primary reading curriculum that celebrates ethnic diversity.
The guide highlights four themes: Home and belonging; Journeys; Fairy tales and folk tales; and Poetry. Within each theme there is a range of content that teachers can use in the classroom:
- Go Deeper articles written by authors, illustrators and other children’s book experts that explore the theme in more detail.
- Booklists of recommended titles to expand teachers’ repertoire of teaching texts. On the website, each book also comes with links to supplementary material, such as images from the text, information about the author, or pictures of early drafts.
- Activities that encourage children to celebrate their lives and the lives of their communities.
- Access to interviews with top authors and illustrators, as well as video masterclasses to inspire children’s own creativity.
Cost: Free, but please read the Access and Reuse Guidance Notes provided on the website.
About the British Library: The British Library is the national library of the United Kingdom. Its collection holds over 170 million artefacts from every age of written civilisation, with around three million new printed and digital publications added to the archive every year.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Teachers can link from the guide to additional supporting content from the British Library archives, as well as reports and resources on the theme of Reflecting Realities from other organisations.
- The Discovering Children’s Books website is a great resource to extend teachers’ own knowledge about children’s books.
- The creative activities are engaging and designed to help children discover their own voice. Many could also be adapted to support other areas of the curriculum.