Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
The Authorfy Masterclasses are a range of exclusive video masterclasses with best-selling, award-winning children’s authors. Each video focuses on a particular title and includes a reading from the story, insights into the author’s inspiration, top writing tips, and writing challenges for students to undertake themselves. There are also cross-curricular schemes of work created with teachers that can be downloaded for use in the classroom. The majority of the masterclasses are aimed at KS2, but the range is being expanded to include KS1 and KS3.
As well as the masterclasses, there are a number of other free resources on the Authorfy website.
- The 10 Minute Challenges are a series of videos in which best-selling authors and illustrators set a timed writing or drawing challenge based on one of their books.
- The Author Introductions are short videos where authors introduce themselves and read an extract from their latest title.
- Find hundreds of free Extracts from children’s books ready to download for comprehension work or as the stimulus for a piece of writing.
Cost: Masterclasses are free with registration. Author Introductions, 10 Minute Challenges and Extracts are all free and available to download without an account.
About Authorfy: Authorfy was set up as a way of inspiring young readers and writers, supporting teachers, and promoting children’s books and their authors. It creates original video masterclasses, downloadable book-related activities and after school writing club resources.
Literacy Hive Likes
- A wide range of genres and authors is provided, including poetry and non-fiction.
- The teaching resources are flexible and designed to be used as a springboard for ideas that teachers can adapt to suit the needs of their class.
- The masterclasses can be used in different settings and for different purposes: in assemblies, to celebrate an Author of the Month, in the library, as well as in the classroom.
- A great way of bringing authors into the classroom.