Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1
The Bookbug Picture Book Prize is an annual award that celebrates the best new picture books by authors and illustrators based in Scotland.
A shortlist of three titles is selected by an independent panel of educators, librarians, parents and book experts but the winner is chosen by young children across Scotland.
Every child in Primary 1 in Scotland receives a free copy of each of the three shortlisted titles as part of the Bookbug P1 Family Bag gifting programme and can then vote for their favourite book through their school or with their family.
See the shortlist for The Bookbug Picture Book Prize 2023 here.
- Registration to take part in voting opens with the announcement of the shortlist in September.
- Voting closes on 27th January 2023.
- The winner will be announced on March 2nd 2023.
About The Bookbug Picture Book Prize: The Bookbug Picture Book Prize was established in 2010 and is administered by Scottish Book Trust in partnership with Creative Scotland. It is designed to encourage children and their families to read for pleasure.
- Scottish Book Trust provides a range of supporting resources for The Bookbug Picture Book Prize, including recordings of the shortlisted titles being read aloud and learning activities to help families and teachers explore the books with their children or class.
- Other picture book awards include the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Yoto Kate Greenaway Medal, the Klaus Flugge Prize, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Award, the Spark! School Book Awards, the UKLA Book Awards and the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize.
- Other book awards that offer an opportunity for young people to vote for their favourite title include the Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Shadowers’ Choice Awards, the Excelsior Award, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Laugh Out Loud Book Awards, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Awards, the Spark! School Book Awards and the SLA Information Book – Children’s Choice Awards.
- For a full listing of children’s book awards, click here.