Resource type: Books, ebooks and audiobooks, School book supplier or specialist publisher
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
Books Beyond Words are award-winning, wordless picture books covering topics such as physical and mental health, lifestyle and relationships, trauma, and grief.
The books are designed to be used with adults and children who find pictures easier to understand than words. This includes people with learning disabilities, people with cognitive or communication difficulties, and EAL students.
In schools, the books can also be used as an accessible and flexible communication tool to support the SEMH curriculum. Research carried out in the Open Book Project demonstrated that the wordless picture books helped to:
- Empower young people to take control of their feelings and behaviours.
- Build pupils’ emotional repertoire, insight and empathy.
- Broaden pupils’ vocabulary and language skills.
Books are available to buy singly or as themed packs.
Cost: £10 per book. Pack prices vary.
About Beyond Words: Books Beyond Words was founded in 1989 by Baroness Hollins, then Professor of Psychiatry of Disability at St George’s Hospital Medical School. It is now an award-winning independent charitable publisher with a list of over 60 titles.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- An e-learning course with accompanying resources that looks at how to use the Books Beyond Words series to support the SEMH curriculum is available.
- You can download the full report on the Open Book research project here.
- The BW Story App brings together 1800+ pictures and 400 short stories taken from the Books Beyond Words series in one, easily accessible place to provide a convenient, mobile library of resources to aid communication.