Resource type: Event
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
Children’s Book Week was first established in 1919 in the USA as a way to celebrate books for young people and promote the joy of reading. In 2022, Children’s Book Week celebrations are planned for May 2nd – 8th and November 7th – 13th across the USA.
In the UK, there is no fixed date for Children’s Book Week and schools are encouraged to celebrate Children’s Book Week at whatever time fits best with their school calendar.
About Children’s Book Week: Children’s Book Week has been celebrated in the USA for over 100 years and is the longest-running national literacy initiative in the country. It is administered by Every Child a Reader, an award-winning charity that celebrates the powerful impact that books have on the lives of young people.
- There are events all through the year that you can tie in with your Children’s Book Week. World Book Day in March, National Share-a-Story Month in May, International Literacy Day in September, and Libraries Week in October are just a few suggestions but browse through our Literacy Year calendar to find more options.
- Visit our Access to Authors section for a list of organisations that can help you arrange an author visit to your school.
- Perhaps you can arrange your Children’s Book Week to take advantage of a literature festival with a dedicated schools programme?
- Explore the latest research on how to promote Reading for Pleasure and find examples of practice from teachers around the country on the OU Reading for Pleasure website.
- The National Literacy Trust runs free, in-school Reading Champion Challenges every term designed to help build a reading culture in schools.
- Check out these ideas and resources to encourage reading for pleasure from the National Literacy Trust and the School Library Association.
- A School Book Fair can help create excitement around books and reading and also raise money to buy new books for the school library. Check out the various options here.
- Use authors to help engage your pupils with writing. The Authorfy Masterclasses are a bank of videos with best-selling authors that include top writing tips and writing challenges as well as insights into the author’s own inspiration.
- Celebrate your pupils’ creative writing by publishing it in an anthology with Make our Book.