From Coram Beanstalk
Resource type: Reading support
Price band: ££
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
Coram Beanstalk provide schools with trained and vetted Reading Helpers who run engaging, one-to-one reading support sessions with children in EYFS through to KS2 to give them a positive reading experience.
A Reading Helper usually works with three pupils, providing a weekly 30-minute session for each child throughout the school year. During a session, the Reading Helper will read aloud, engage in meaningful book-based chat to extend vocabulary and build comprehension skills and have fun with literacy-based games and activities.
Coram Beanstalk’s online training programme has been developed with teaching professionals and academics to cover key areas such as:
- How to engage with children on a one-to-one basis.
- Understanding the reading process.
- How to listen and communicate in a positive manner to build reading confidence.
- Encouraging reading for meaning.
- The importance of book talk, games and activities.
Cost: £660 per year.
About Coram Beanstalk: Coram Beanstalk (originally called Volunteer Reading Help) is an award-winning national reading charity with over 45 years’ experience of training reading volunteers. It currently has more than 1000 trained volunteers working in schools across England.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Schools can use their Pupil Premium funds to cover the cost of a Reading Helper.
- Reading Helpers are provided with a pack of carefully curated children’s books to use in their sessions.
- Partner Schools have a dedicated support representative who conducts an annual review each year.
- Reading Helpers receive ongoing support from Coram Beanstalk with events, further training opportunities and access to a wide range of useful resources through the Coram Beanstalk volunteer portal.
- The 2021-22 school survey showed that 90% of schools reported improved engagement with reading; 94% of schools saw an improvement in children’s reading and attitudes to learning; and 91% reported an increase in children’s confidence and self-esteem.
Visit the resource
Contact this resource provider
020 7729 4087
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!