Resource type: Newspapers, magazines and comics
Price band: £
Key stage: KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
The first newspaper in the UK to be created specifically for young people between the ages of 7 and 14, First News is delivered every Friday as a print or digital edition. The newspaper covers politics, entertainment, sports and science, and includes both bite-size news items and in-depth special reports on topical issues. Independently owned and with no political affiliations, First News delivers global news stories in an accessible way and helps students develop the skills that will allow them to distinguish between news and ‘fake news’.
As well as the weekly newspaper, First News Education provides additional resources to support learning through global news.
- Weekly printable activity sheets with comprehensions, quizzes, vocabulary puzzles and debates, all based on the week’s news stories. Activity sheets are created in three reading levels for KS2 and KS3, allowing teachers to tailor activities for groups or individual students.
- Access to the First News iHub, an interactive online teaching tool designed to develop core literacy skills for KS2 and KS3 pupils through the exploration of global news stories.
Cost: From £62 for a single copy of the printed newspaper delivered every week during term time. The digital edition costs £453 per year for unlimited access across the whole school.
About First News Education: First News Education is dedicated to providing schools with a complete solution for effective news-based learning in order to equip young people with an enriched knowledge of the world and the fundamental reading, writing and oracy skills they need to succeed throughout school and beyond.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- News stories provide lots of cross-curricular learning opportunities and can help develop critical literacy skills.
- The mix of bite-size items and in-depth reports ensures that First News can be used both to engage reluctant readers and extend more confident readers.
- The Tips and Resources section of the website contains a selection of useful articles and guides on journalistic writing and media literacy.
- First News Education TV is a free, web-based channel with programmes presented by kids for kids that a cover a range of topical issues.
- The First News School Newspaper of the Year Award is an annual award to recognise and celebrate young journalists.
- The First News ACTive Citizenship Award, run in conjunction with the Association for Citizenship Teaching, is designed to encourage and celebrate the positive changes young people can make in their communities.