Resource type: Event
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
Holocaust Memorial Day takes place annually on the 27th January, the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest Nazi death camp. It is the day when the world comes together to remember and to learn about the Holocaust, Nazi Persecution and subsequent genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur in order to bear witness, promote understanding, and challenge prejudice and hatred.
The theme for Holocaust Memorial Day 2023 is ‘Ordinary People’. The Holocaust Memorial Day Trust has created a number of resources for primary and secondary schools that can be used to explore the theme and support teaching and learning:
- Theme Vision document that looks at different way to interpret this year’s theme.
- Lesson Plans, Life Stories, ideas for assemblies and activities for tutor time.
About the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust: The Holocaust Memorial Day Trust is a charity established and funded by the UK Government to promote and support Holocaust Memorial Day in the the UK.
- For books that explore the events surrounding the Holocaust, see BookTrust’s booklists for UKS2 and teenagers.
- Find free resources from author Tom Palmer and the National Literacy Trust created for Holocaust Memorial Day 2022, including a reading of a story created specially for the day and book club resources for After the War.
- LGfL, working with partner organisations such as The Wiener Holocaust Library, has created a portfolio of resources to support the delivery of Holocaust Education.