Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
The Laugh Out Loud Book Awards (LOLLIES) celebrate the best and funniest children’s books in the UK and Ireland and were set up by Scholastic UK in 2015 after the withdrawal of the Roald Dahl Funny Prize. Funny books are often overlooked by other awards but can play an important role in encouraging children to become readers.
As of 2022, and in the wake of the demise of the Blue Peter Book Awards, the number of award categories has been expanded to include:
- Picture Books
- Books for 6-8 year-olds
- Books for 9-13 year-olds
- Poetry books
- Non-fiction Books
- Books for Teen and Young Adults
- Illustrator of the Year
A shortlist of four titles for each of the three categories is selected by a panel of experts, but the winners are voted for by children across the country.
- The 2024 shortlists will be announced in the summer term. Further details to be announced.
About Scholastic UK: Scholastic UK is part of Scholastic Coporation, the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books.
- Resources including review sheets, a class vote activity pack and classroom decoration kits are available to download from the Lollies website.
- To find past winners of the Laugh Out Loud Book Awards, click here.
- Other book awards that offer an opportunity for children to vote for their favourite title(s) include The Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the Excelsior Award, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Shadowers’ Choice Awards, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Awards, the SLA Information Book – Children’s Choice Awards, the Spark! School Book Awards, and the Young People’s Book Prize.
- For a full list of children’s book awards, click here.