Resource type: Event
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
Libraries Week is a week-long celebration of the work that libraries do to support their communities. In 2023 Libraries Week runs from 2nd – 8th October. The theme for this year is ‘Green Libraries’ and will shine a light on the work libraries are doing to raise awareness of climate change and promote sustainability.
The Libraries Week website provides free guides, posters and marketing toolkits to help promote Libraries Week.
About CILIP: CILIP is the UK’s library and information association. The charity works to develop and improve library and information services and to support and advocate for information professionals and librarians.
- Encourage discussion about the environment and climate change with KS2 and KS3 pupils with this selection of free resources from Topical Talk.
- Find book recommendations to cover environmental sustainability and plastic pollution, as well as an Awesome Planet Earth booklist, from Books for Topics.
- The Climate Fiction Writers League is a group of writers from around the world whose work aims to raise awareness of climate change. Their books include pictures books, middle grade and young adult fiction. You can find them here.
- Find opportunities to celebrate books and reading all through the year with the Literacy Year calendar.
- Access training, advice, book recommendations and resources to support your school library by joining the School Library Association.
- The Schools Library Service (SLS) provides schools with access to a broad range of services and resources to support the curriculum. Find out more here.
- Read the Life-changing Libraries report on the positive impact that a well-resourced school library can have on children’s attitudes to reading and their well-being, and download the campaign’s recommended list of 1000 Life-Changing Books for a primary library.
- Find more tips and resources to help you keep your library up to date in our blog.
- Download a resource pack of over 20 library lesson plans aimed at Year 7 children from former SLA School Librarian of the Year Lucas Maxwell. You can also sign up to get his tips on how to maximise the impact of your school library space on a small budget in an SLA webinar on Wed 18th October.
- Get ideas on how to run a whole school read in this free SLS webinar for secondary schools with author Penny Joelson and a panel of experienced librarians on Wed 18th October.
- Catch up on the National Literacy Trust’s Diverse Libraries webinar series for advice on how to build an inclusive and representative library.
- Read how Holden Clough Community Primary raised over £12,000 to expand their book selection and revitalise their library spaces to support their reading for pleasure goals.