LoveReading4Kids Poetry Prize
Resource type: Competition
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS2
Region(s): All of UK
The LoveReading4Kids Poetry Prize is an annual poetry competition run in association with National Poetry Day. The competition is open to all young people aged 7-11 living in the UK and the theme for the LoveReading4Kids Poetry Prize 2023 is ‘Refuge’.
Entries for the competition must be in English but can be any length and in any style. The winning poet will win a visit from National Poetry Day ambassador Nicola Davies and £250 of National Book Tokens for their school, as well as a trophy and £50 of National Book Tokens for themselves. Teachers can submit batches of poems from their class via the Group Submission page.
- Submissions will be accepted from 1st April 2023.
- The deadline for entries is 29th July 2023
- The shortlist will be announced on 1st September and the winners will be announced on National Poetry Day – Thursday 5th October.
About LoveReading4Kids: LoveReading4Kids is part of the LoveReading group, the UK’s leading portfolio of book recommendation websites.
About National Poetry Day: National Poetry Day is a nationwide celebration of poetry organised by the Forward Arts Foundation, a charity committed to promoting public knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of poetry in the UK and Ireland.
- The National Poetry Day website has a range of resources to encourage and inspire young poets.
- Poetry By Heart is an annual poetry speaking competition for schools and colleges in England. Their website provides teaching resources and a range of poems to explore.
- The Poetry Zone is a website that provides a space for young poets to share their work with a wider audience.
- Young Writers run themed poetry and creative writing competitions for primary and secondary students all through the year.
- Find more resources to support the teaching of poetry here.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!