Resource type: Competition
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS2
Region(s): All of UK
The LoveReading4Kids Poetry Prize is an annual poetry competition for young people aged 7-11 living in the UK. The prize is run in association with National Poetry Day.
The theme for this year’s LoveReading4Kids Poetry Prize is ‘The Environment’. Young poets can interpret the theme in any way they choose and their poems can be in any style and of any length. Poems must be in English, however.
Teachers can enter batches of poems from their class using the Group Poem Submission form. Prizes include a virtual visit from National Poetry Day Ambassador Liz Brownlee for the winning poet’s school, as well as £250 of books for their class or school library. The winning and commended poems will also appear on the LoveReading4Kids and LoveReading4Schools websites.
- Submissions will be accepted from 10th May 2022.
- The deadline for all entries is 5.30pm on 29th July 2022.
- The shortlist will be announced on 1st September 2022.
- The winners will be announced on National Poetry Day on 6th October 2022.
About LoveReading4Kids: LoveReading4Kids is part of the LoveReading group, the UK’s leading portfolio of book recommendation websites that also includes LoveReading and LoveReading4Schools.
About National Poetry Day: National Poetry Day is a nationwide celebration of poetry organised by the Forward Arts Foundation, a charity committed to promoting public knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of poetry in the UK and Ireland.
- Watch the online workshop with award-winning poet Joshua Seigal on the LoveReading4Kids Poetry Prize web page.
- The National Poetry Day website has a range of resources to encourage and inspire young poets.
- Poetry By Heart is an annual poetry speaking competition for schools and colleges in England. The website also hosts a range of poems to explore, as well as teaching resources.
- The Poetry Zone is a website that provides a space for young poets to share their work with a wider audience.
- Young Writers run themed poetry and creative writing competitions for primary and secondary students all through the year.
- Find more resources to support the teaching of poetry here.