Resource type: Booklists and book reviews
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
Mister Bodd is the blog of primary teacher and children’s book reviewer Dean Boddington. As well as reviews of newly released titles and articles on how to promote Reading for Pleasure in the classroom, the blog also features booklists and book recommendations across a range of genres and subjects.
- Six To Get You Started: lists of six books for each year group from EYFS to Year 7 to kick start a class library.
- Reading for Pleasure Tube Maps: provide further reading suggestions for readers who are fans of a particular author or genre. There are maps for 4+, 7+ and 9+.
- Reading Roads: provide suggestions that allow young readers to progress within a genre from books for early readers to the end of primary.
- History through Books: a history timeline with reading recommendations for different periods from the Stone Age to the present day.
- I See Me: lists of recommended inclusive books that feature disabilities or marginalised groups for KS1 and KS2.
- Black Lives Matter: a compilation of the best books featuring BAME characters or written by BAME authors/illustrators to help primary schools diversify their libraries.
- No Shelf Control: a monthly reading newsletter featuring reviews of new books, themed booklists and author interviews.
Cost: All resources are free to download but a contribution to charity or a book for Mr Bodd’s class library would be appreciated (see website for details).
About Mister Bodd: Mister Bodd, aka Dean Boddington, is an experienced primary teacher and English Lead working in Essex.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Reviews and recommendations from a practising teacher.
- The ‘Six to Get You Started’ lists are great for ECTs or teachers starting in a new year group.
- The booklists are presented as colourful posters that can be used to decorate the classroom.
- Follow Dean on Twitter @MisterBodd.