Resource type: Online learning and apps
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
Nessy Reading & Spelling is an internet-based literacy program that provides structured and personalised learning plans to support children between the ages of 6 and 11. Nessy was developed to support children with dyslexia, but research has shown that it can benefit all students, including those with EAL.
Students start by taking the Nessy Challenge to establish their baseline reading and spelling skills. The program then automatically assigns them personalised reading and spelling target lessons. These enable students to work independently, filling in the gaps in their learning before moving on to more challenging material in a structured, incremental approach. There are 100 lessons that include a mix of video strategies, games and worksheets covering:
- Phonological awareness
Teachers can monitor students’ progress using detailed reports that allow them to see where students are struggling and when they have achieved curriculum objectives.
Cost: From £60 ex VAT per year for 1 child.
About Nessy Learning: Nessy Learning is an award-winning educational company that specialises in early literacy. Their goal is to provide engaging, effective literacy learning to all children at an affordable cost. Nessy programs are used by children in 190 countries around the world.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Nessy Reading & Spelling is a research-based program developed by reading and dyslexia specialists. It has been awarded the British Dyslexia Association mark of quality assurance and is a three-times winner of the Educational Resources Award.
- The program’s games-based learning leads to increased levels of engagement and higher attainment.
- On average, students using the Nessy program make more than one year of progress in 12 weeks.
- Free teaching resources, videos and dyslexia awareness packs are available from the website.
- A 7-day free trial is available.