Resource type: Reading support
Price band: ££
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): England - East Midlands
Literacy Volunteers only works with schools in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire. Their Parent Volunteers Course is designed to enable parents and volunteers to deliver effective one-to-one support, sharing their own enjoyment of books in order to help children read and communicate.
Participating schools are responsible for the recruitment and management of their volunteers, including all DBS checks. The training course covers:
- Safeguarding and confidentiality.
- Different reading techniques.
- Why some children find it hard to read.
- Strategies to help children read for meaning.
- Games and activities that encourage reading for pleasure.
Cost: Available on request.
About Literacy Volunteers: Literacy Volunteers is a registered charity whose aim is to enrich young people’s lives by assisting with their literacy, communication and social skills. It currently has around 250 volunteers working with 1000 pupils in 150 schools every week.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- A good way to recognise and enhance the role of parent volunteers.
- The training programme allows schools to build a team of trained and motivated reading helpers, tailored to their needs.