Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids, CPD resource, CPD course
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
The Power of Pictures project is designed to help teachers choose and use picture books with pupils across the primary age range.
Since it was launched in 2012, the Power of Pictures has worked with eleven picture book creators to create resources that provide an insight into their creative process and promote an understanding of the way that words and pictures work together to provide a sophisticated reading experience.
- The Power of Pictures teaching sequences: Teaching sequences for EYFS, KS1 and KS2 for a picture book by one of the participating picture book creators with accompanying interviews and videos.
- Power of Pictures CPD course: Led by a published picture book author/illustrator, this course trains teachers how to read illustration, how to convey meaning in words and illustrations of their own, and how to develop strategies to support children in creating their own narratives using words and pictures. The course takes place in CLPE’s London centre and is delivered over two and a half days.
- Power of Pictures research report: Outlines the findings from independent evaluation into the effectiveness of using picture books in the primary classroom.
Cost: Website resources are free with registration. Training course: £395 per person.
About Centre for Literacy in Primary Education: CLPE is an independent charity with over 40 years’ experience of providing evidence-based CPD training and high-quality resources to support teachers.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Picture books are an underused resource in classrooms, tending to be viewed as a stepping-stone to ‘proper’ books, rather than as providing a rich, multi-layered reading experience of their own.
- CLPE’s research has shown that allowing children the opportunity to draw as part of the writing process helps them develop and extend their ideas for writing.
- Learning to read illustration also helps to develop deeper comprehension skills.
- The training course and the online resources provide the opportunity to learn from well-established author/illustrators.
Visit the resource
020 7401 3382/3
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!