Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids, CPD course
Price band: ££
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
The Power of Reading is the Centre for Literacy in Primary Education’s flagship literacy programme that puts quality children’s literature at the centre of an engaging and effective literacy curriculum.
At the heart of the programme is the Power of Reading training course designed to:
- Inform a whole school approach to literacy.
- Develop teachers’ subject and pedagogical knowledge.
- Help develop classroom provision to raise engagement and attainment in language, vocabulary, reading and writing.
The CPD course is available as a face-to-face or online course. The face-to-face course takes place over four days spread across the school year and is delivered at CLPE’s centre in London. The online course is delivered over eight x two-hour webinars via Zoom. Both the face-to-face and the online training can be commissioned for groups of schools in a local area.
Sitting alongside the training course is the bank of Power of Reading Teaching Resources. This provides:
- Detailed teaching sequences for over 300 high quality children’s texts, including embedded opportunities to explore phonics, vocabulary, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Home learning resources for over 90 texts.
- Sample Curriculum Maps to help schools develop a text-based English curriculum across the whole school.
Access to the online resources is via an annual membership. Schools that participate in the face-to-face Power of Reading training course receive a year’s membership for free.
Cost: CLPE membership – £385 per year.Training programme – £750 per person online, £1450 per person face-to-face.
About Centre for Literacy in Primary Education: CLPE is an independent charity with 50 years’ experience of providing evidence-based CPD training and high-quality literacy resources to support teachers.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Sign up for one of the free online and in-person information events taking place in June to find out more about the Power of Reading programme from members of the CLPE team and schools that are using the programme.
- The Power of Reading approach is underpinned by extensive research and meets all the requirements of the National Curriculum.
- Meet leading children’s writers as part of the Power of Reading training.
- Four free teaching sequences and two sample Curriculum Maps are available on the website as examples of the Power of Reading approach.
- In the latest impact report, 100% of participating teachers reported that the training course improved children’s engagement in reading; 89% reported an increase in children’s attainment in reading; and 89% reported an improvement in children’s engagement with writing.
Visit the resource
020 7401 3382/3
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!