Resource type: Reading support
Price band: ££
Key stage: KS3
Region(s): All of UK
Reader Leader is a peer-to-peer literacy programme that trains older reading ‘Leaders’ to provide one-to-one literacy support to younger ‘Readers’ in both primary and secondary schools.
In primary schools, the programme trains Year 6 pupils to mentor pupils in Years 2 and 3. In secondary schools, pupils in Year 10-12 are trained to mentor Year 7 and 8 pupils. Readers and Leaders meet for 30 minutes at least once a week in a dedicated space.
The one-day training programme for a group of 10 Leaders is delivered online and provides the necessary information, strategies and confidence for Leaders to support their younger peers. Areas covered include:
- The reading process.
- Why some students struggle with reading.
- Information on phonics.
- How to carry out a reading session.
All Leaders are sent a Reader Leader folder containing the presentation slides, handouts and resources ahead of the session and receive a completion certificate post-training.
About The Children’s Literacy Charity: The Children’s Literacy Charity provides one-to-one support for the most disadvantaged children in society through their flagship programme Literacy Labs. The charity also provides training and consultancy in the field of children’s literacy support.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- A great way to build school cohesion, and can be used to help Year 7 students transition to secondary school.
- Participating schools report that the programme helps embed a culture of Reading for Pleasure.
- Leaders have the opportunity to develop their leadership and communication skills while helping the younger Readers.
- The programme is flexible and can be tailored to the needs of your particular school.
- Staff members can attend the training session in order to help them manage the programme.
- Schools are provided with all training materials on a USB stick so that they can expand their numbers of Readers and Leaders and continue to manage the project year-on-year.
Visit the resource
0207 740 1008
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!