Resource type: Book club
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
Reading Gladiators is a small group reading resource for mid to high-attaining readers in Years 2-6. The programme is designed to broaden children’s reading repertoire and develop sustained reading for pleasure, purpose and understanding.
The Reading Gladiators programme involves:
- Sustained independent reading of a selection of titles from a carefully curated collection that is updated every year. The emphasis is on high quality texts by established and recently published authors that cover a range of genres. Over the course of the programme, Reading Gladiators will move from accessible reads in familiar settings to texts that require more empathetic and reflective reading.
- Book club style discussions led by a group leader alongside creative activities that encourage higher level responses to the text.
- Membership of the Reading Gladiators Reading Community via the dedicated website where groups can showcase their work, share ideas and participate in the inter-school end of year challenge.
Reading Gladiators works best with groups of 6-8 pupils but schools can run bigger or smaller groups to suit their needs.
Cost: Annual subscription to the website and online resources starts from £100 for a single year group. (Books sold separately.)
About Just Imagine: Just Imagine was established in 2010 by former teacher, university lecturer and writer, Nikki Gamble. Just Imagine works with schools in the UK and abroad to develop outstanding reading and writing practice, where stories and literature are placed firmly at the heart of learning. As well as developing reading projects and programmes for teachers to deliver in schools, Just Imagine offers training and consultancy on a wide range of literacy-related topics.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Award-winning programme.
- There is a range of texts to allow schools to tailor the book club to different groups of readers.
- Flexible programme structure to enable schools to implement it in a way that works for them.
- Books can be bought directly from Just Imagine’s bookshop, Best Books for Schools at specially discounted prices.
- Online support for group leaders is provided, including tips on how to encourage a positive reading atmosphere, book specific guidance notes, activities and resources to encourage high level discussions.
- Extension tasks encourage Reading Gladiators to become reading advocates to help promote reading for pleasure in the wider school community.
- Enjoy author interviews and keep up to date with the latest book news with Just Imagine’s In the Reading Corner podcasts, and monthly Book Blast videos.