Resource type: CPD course
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS2, KS3
Region(s): England and Wales
The Reading Teachers = Reading Pupils programme is a network of teachers’ reading groups designed to provide KS2 and KS3 teachers with the opportunity to discuss high-quality children’s books and ways to share them in the classroom.
RTRP groups meet once a half-term, starting with a launch event in October. Over the course of the year, groups will cover five titles chosen by a panel of literacy experts. The year finishes with a sharing event in June.
The aims of the RTRP groups are to:
- Help teachers increase their own enthusiasm and knowledge of high-quality children’s books.
- Support teachers’ planning of whole-class literacy teaching from narrative forms.
- Build pupils’ confidence in responding to books in group, class or wider reading communities.
- Inspire pupils and their teachers through connection with authors.
To find an existing RTRP group click here. Groups are limited to a maximum of 15 teachers and booking opens in June for the following academic year. If there is no local group, teachers and librarians can apply to set up their own RTRP group in their school or trust. Application to become an Independent Partner is free and comes with full training and ongoing support from Cheltenham Festivals.
About Cheltenham Festivals: Cheltenham Festivals is a charity committed to ensuring that everybody can engage in innovative, world-class content across science and the arts. The Reading Teachers = Reading Pupils programme is delivered in partnership with a number of literacy organisations, including: Book Council of Wales; Bradford Literature Festival; CLPE; English & Media Centre; National Centre for Writing; NLT; KEAP (The Writers’ Block); Peters; Seven Stories the National Centre for Children’s Books; The Reader; The Story Museum; and Wigtown Festival Company.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- A low-cost, informal way to develop your own book knowledge and share effective practice.
- Supporting book resources, including messages from featured authors, are provided.
- Discounts on the RTRP books are available from Peters, the official school book supplier for the programme.