Resource type: Event
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
Remembrance Day is celebrated across the Commonwealth on 11th November, the day that WWI ended in 1918. In 2022, the focus will be on the concept of ‘Service’ – the act of defending and protecting the nation’s democratic freedoms and way of life. Both military and civilian service will be commemorated through a variety of anniversaries and events.
The Royal British Legion provides free cross-curricular resources to support the teaching of Remembrance from KS1 through to KS5. The resources are linked to the National Curriculum and include:
- Remembrance Assemblies for all ages.
- Resources to explore Remembrance through stories, art, music, original photographs and film, including Book Club resources for KS2 and KS3.
- Sounds of Remembrance project – a whole school primary project to create an audio time capsule that records the ways people in the community take part in Remembrance.
Cost: Free with registration.
About The Royal British Legion: The Royal British Legion was set up in 1921 as a national network to support the Armed Forces community in the UK. They provide support to serving and ex-serving personnel and their families as well as coordinating the annual Poppy Appeal.
- The National Literacy Trust has partnered with Royal British Legion to provide a live, online, interactive assembly on Remembrance Day for KS2 pupils that combines music, poetry and film. There are also five new assembly resources for KS1 – KS5 available to download for free with registration.
- Best-selling author Tom Palmer has created free teaching resources to accompany many of his popular WWI and WWII stories. These include a Remembrance Day assembly video for KS2 and KS3, and resources to support his latest novel Resist, set in the Netherlands during WWII and inspired by the Resistance childhood of Hollywood star Audrey Hepburn.
- BBC Teach has a range of Remembrance Day resources for primary and secondary students on their website, including Assembly Packs and links to abridged readings of two of Michael Morpurgo’s war stories – Private Peaceful and War Horse.
- Books for Topics has recommended reading lists covering WWI and WWII for primary aged pupils in its History section.
- Artist Darrell Wakelam has a simple but very effective art project for an Egg Box Poppy. Find instructions here.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!