Resource type: Event
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
Roald Dahl Story Day takes place on Roald Dahl’s birthday – 13th September – and is a chance to celebrate the work of one of children’s books’ greatest storytellers.
The Roald Dahl website has a range of resources that can be used to support Roald Dahl Day, including:
- Free downloadable lesson plans for a number of Dahl’s most popular books.
- A timeline of Dahl’s life and work.
- Biographies of all the main characters in Dahl’s books.
- Archive material with examples of early drafts of his stories, sketches and photos of Roald Dahl memorabilia.
About the Roald Dahl Story Company Ltd: The Roald Dahl Story Company Ltd manages the copyrights and trademarks for the works of Roald Dahl and is committed to sharing the positive message at the heart of all Roald Dahl’s stories.
- The Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre in Buckinghamshire is open for school visits providing hands-on, investigative opportunities to explore the Roald Dahl archives and learn more about the author’s life and writing process. Suitable for pupils in Years 2 – 8. Costs start at £205 for a 90-minute session for up to 32 students.
- Book a Creative Characters Livestream Learning Session with the experts at the Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre and learn about some of Dahl’s writing techniques. Costs start from £100 for a 45-minute session for up to 35 students.
- Book a visit from a Roald Dahl Storyteller. Prices available on request.
- See the whole range of Dahl’s children’s books along with related publishing, articles, quizzes and activity packs on the Puffin website.
- Explore the world of ‘gobblefunk’, Roald Dahl’s invented language, with language books and free activity worksheets from Oxford University Press.
- You can watch The Marvellous World of Roald Dahl, a BBC documentary made in 2016 on YouTube.