Schools Library Service
From SLS UK
Resource type: School book supplier or specialist publisher
Price band: ££
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
The Schools Library Service provides schools with access to a broad range of services and resources to support the curriculum and reading for pleasure. Although not every Local Authority has its own SLS, schools may be able to access the services of a neighbouring SLS. Schools can find their nearest SLS by clicking here.
The services available will vary depending on the individual SLS but can include:
- Project loan boxes of curated fiction and non-fiction books to support topic work. These can also include DVDs, relevant artefacts, posters or costumes.
- Loans of story sacks, sensory boxes, braille or giant print books.
- Access to ebooks and other eResources.
- Advice and support on library and literacy issues, such as regular audits to ensure stock in school libraries and classroom book corners is relevant and up to date, identifying gaps in book provision, and making book recommendations for particular groups of pupils.
- Literacy enrichment activities including author visits, author events for World Book Day, poetry slams and competitions.
- Regional book awards where local pupils can read, evaluate and review shortlisted titles and vote on the winner.
- CPD training for school librarians and teachers.
- Access to experienced librarians to come in and work with a school on a contract basis.
Core services are accessed via a subscription charge. Additional services may be purchased on a consultancy basis.
Cost: Subscription and consultancy charges will vary by SLS.
About SLS UK: SLS UK is the umbrella organisation for all Local Authority run Schools Library Services across the UK. Its mission is to be a catalyst for learning, providing teachers and schools with the ideas, research and resources they need to deliver positive outcomes for their pupils.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- The SLS is a great source of expertise that schools can tap into.
- Loan and exchange services can be a cost-effective way to refresh school libraries and book corners.
- Non-subscribing schools may still be able to access some SLS services on a consultancy basis.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!