Schools of Sanctuary
From City of Sanctuary UK
Resource type: CPD resource, Projects, programmes and workshops
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
Schools of Sanctuary is a national network of over 350 primary and secondary schools across the UK that are committed to creating a culture of welcome and inclusion for refugees and people seeking asylum. To become an accredited School of Sanctuary, primary and secondary schools must demonstrate that they have implemented eight criteria across three core areas:
- Learn – learning about what it means to be a person seeking sanctuary, the issues they face and how to support those who are seeking sanctuary within a school.
- Embed – embedding a culture of welcome and inclusion in their fabric
- Share – sharing their values and activities across the schools community.
As well as providing information and support for schools who would like to become a School of Sanctuary, the Schools of Sanctuary website provides links to a range of resources that can be accessed by all schools to promote a culture of inclusion, including:
- Teaching resources and assemblies
- Videos of refugees telling their stories
- Training and CPD opportunities
- Webinars and events
City of Sanctuary UK: Schools of Sanctuary are accredited by City of Sanctuary UK, a registered charity that coordinates and supports a network of individuals, groups and organisations across the UK to encourage inclusivity, solidarity and compassion for people from a forced displacement background.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Working towards School of Sanctuary accreditation provides a focus for development in areas such as improving EAL provision, building an inclusive and supportive school community, increasing pupil voice, and promoting active and engaged citizenship.
- Norfolk Schools of Sanctuary run A Day of Welcome, a UK-wide event during Refugee Week designed specifically for schools.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!