Resource type: Reading support
Price band: ££
Key stage: KS3, KS5
Region(s): England - East Midlands
Literacy Volunteers only works with schools in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire. The aim of their 6th Form Mentors course is to enable 6th form pupils to deliver effective one-to-one reading support to Year 7 students.
The course is delivered in school and covers:
- Confidentiality, safeguarding and health and safety.
- Different reading techniques.
- What it feels like to struggle to read.
- Strategies to help pupils read for meaning.
- Using games and puzzles to promote reading for pleaure.
Cost: Available on request.
About Literacy Volunteers: Literacy Volunteers is a registered charity whose aim is to enrich young people’s lives by assisting with their literacy, communication and social skills. It currently has around 250 volunteers working with 1000 pupils in 150 schools every week.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- A cost-effective way to support Year 7 students who have missed schooling due to Covid-19.
- A good way for older students to develop leadership and communication skills.
- Younger students often find communicating with peers easier than with adult volunteers or teachers.
- Helps aids transition to secondary school and strengthens the school community.