Resource type: Catch-up intervention
Price band: £
Key stage: KS3
Region(s): All of UK
Skills Academy is a reading intervention programme for students in Years 7 and 8 that uses the excitement and passion surrounding sport to motivate young people to improve their literacy skills.
The 10-week programme provides detailed ready-to-use lesson plans to help deliver key objectives from the Key Stage 3 curriculum. It uses appealing, relatable, sports-themed texts to teach five core comprehension skills. As students complete weekly reading challenges in one of two modules – freestyle football or beatbox and breakdance – they are rewarded with how-to videos from relevant professionals to help them improve their own skills. The video tutorials are all accessed through the dedicated Skills Academy website. Participating schools also receive 10 books as a class library to encourage reading for pleasure.
Cost: £150 per year.
About National Literacy Trust: NLT is an independent literacy charity working with schools and communities to give disadvantaged children the literacy skills to succeed in life. The charity runs literacy programmes, CPD training courses for teachers, and provides online resources and tools to its members. It also undertakes research into all aspects of literacy and campaigns to raise awareness of literacy issues.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- A school can register as many students as it likes to the programme throughout the 12-month subscription.
- The Skills Academy subscription also covers a year’s membership of the National Literacy Trust (worth £100), which gives all teachers access to the NLT’s premium resources.
- Recent evaluation showed that 50% of students who took part in the 10-week programme improved their reading age by an average of 8.4 months, and 71% of students said that taking part had motivated them to be better readers.
- The programme can be used to engage students who need additional support as a result of the Covid-19 epidemic.
- Suitable for Pupil Premium funding.
Visit the resource
Contact this resource provider
020 7587 1842
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!