Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
Take One Book is a programme of text-based teaching sequences that are designed to:
- develop positive attitudes to reading.
- ensure pupils are exposed to a wide range of quality texts.
- develop deeper reading comprehension and inference skills for all children.
The programme provides teaching sequences for over 100 carefully curated texts for Years 1 through to 6. The text selection covers fiction, non-fiction, poetry and picture books and includes recent releases as well as established favourites.
All the Take One Book teaching sequences follow a consistent framework and are made up of carefully devised building blocks that can be selected to create customised teaching plans.
While the focus of the programme is on helping pupils develop greater depth and understanding of the texts they are reading, the sequences also provide opportunities for pupils’ own writing.
Cost: Available with a Just Imagine School Membership, starting from £192.50 ex VAT per year.
About Just Imagine: Just Imagine was established in 2010 by Nikki Gamble, a former teacher and university lecturer and author of Exploring Children’s Literature: Reading for Knowledge, Understanding and Pleasure. The literacy consultancy works with schools in the UK and abroad to develop outstanding reading and writing practice, where stories and literature are placed firmly at the heart of learning. As well as developing reading projects and programmes for teachers to deliver in schools, Just Imagine offers training and consultancy on a wide range of literacy topics.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- The teaching sequences are created by literacy experts working with partner schools.
- Four free sample teaching sequences are available to download and review.
- Many of the teaching sequences include wider learning opportunities that link to other areas of the primary curriculum as well as further reading suggestions.
- Training to support the Take One Book approach is available.
- Class sets of books featured on the Take One Book programme are available from Just Imagine’s bookshop Best Books for Schools.
- A Just Imagine School Membership also provides whole-school access to Reading Gladiators, monthly Book Blast roundups of the best new books, online interviews with high-profile authors and a training credit for a Just Imagine online CPD course.