Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
The Diverse Book Awards were set up to showcase the best inclusive fiction: stories that feature characters that are not typically widely represented and that celebrate all forms of diversity.
Open to any author based in the UK or Ireland, there are three award categories:
- Children’s Fiction
- Young Adult Fiction
- Adult Fiction
The winners are chosen by a panel of judges made up of authors, young readers, editors and experts from the children’s book world.
- The shortlist is announced in September.
- The winners are announced in October.
About The Diverse Book Awards: The Diverse Book Awards were established in 2019 by Abiola Bello and Helen Lewis, founders of The Author School.
- Find past winners and shortlisted titles here.
- The Jhalak Children’s & YA Prize is an annual book award for the best book written for young people by a British author of colour.
- The Little Rebels Children’s Book Award celebrates fiction that challenges stereotypes and promotes social justice.
- Explore the Reflecting Realities section of the website for more resources to help build an inclusive and representative library.
- For a full list of children’s book awards, click here.