Resource type: Newspapers, magazines and comics
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
Whizz Pop Bang! is an award-winning monthly magazine aimed at bringing science to life for children aged six to twelve.
Each 36-page issue focuses on a theme and is packed with the latest discoveries from the world of science; interviews with real scientists; in-depth topics for extended learning; science puzzles and quizzes; and tried and tested experiments that can be carried out in school or at home.
Alongside the magazine, Whizz Pop Bang! also offers a range of curriculum-linked, differentiated science and reading resources for primary pupils in Years 2 – 6 (P3 – P7). These are available to download with a subscription and include:
- Detailed lesson plans and accompanying PowerPoint presentations.
- Hands-on activities and fun science games for the classroom.
- Guided reading texts and comprehension questions for cross-curricular learning.
- Science debates for older pupils.
Cost: £40 per year for a single copy of the magazine. Subscription packages for the magazine + access to the teaching resources start at £130.
About Launchpad Publishing Ltd: Launchpad Publishing Ltd was set up by physics graduate and science communicator Jenny Inglis in order to create a top-quality, gender-neutral, advert-free magazine to help children develop a love of science. Whizz Pop Bang! was launched in 2015 and in 2021 won the STEM category in the TeachPrimary Awards.
Literacy Hive Likes
- The broad-ranging content and eye-catching visuals will appeal to a wide spectrum of young readers.
- Gender-neutral content to encourage all children to enjoy science.
- Written by expert science writers and advisers to ensure that all content is accurate and up-to-date.
- The content for the magazine and the lesson plans is linked to the science curriculum for England and Scotland.
- Subscriptions to the teaching resources are for the whole school with no limit to the number of teacher log-ins allowed.