Resource type: Event
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
World Book Day is an annual celebration of books and reading that takes place on the first Thursday of March each year. World Book Day 2023 falls on Thursday 2nd March.
The aim of World Book Day is to encourage all young people to read for pleasure. It does this by providing activities and resources to support the six key pillars on which a Reading for Pleasure habit is founded. These include:
- Being read to regularly.
- Having access to books at home and at school.
- Enjoying the freedom to choose what books to read.
- Having time to read.
- Having access to a community of trusted adults and peers with whom to share and discuss books.
- Experiencing reading as a fun and enjoyable activity.
At the heart of World Book Day are the £1 book tokens that allow children and young people to get a free book from a selection of exclusive World Book Day titles available through participating booksellers. The vouchers can also be put towards the full price of a book or audio book of their choice.
Primary schools receive book tokens automatically, although they are encouraged to register and confirm the number of free book tokens that they require. Secondary schools, nurseries and playgroups must register every year by late November on the World Book Day website to receive their free packs.
The World Book Day website offers access to a wide range of resources for primary and secondary schools that can be used to celebrate World Book Day and all year round. These include:
- World Book Day Live events
- Masterclasses with the World Book Day £1 book authors and illustrators.
- Ideas and activities to celebrate World Book Day.
- Posters and activity sheets.
- Access to free audio books.
- Details of how to get involved with the World Book Day Book Club.
About World Book Day: World Book Day is a charity supported by publishers and booksellers. Its mission is to change lives through a love of books and shared reading.