Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids, CPD resource
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
The Writing for Pleasure Centre is dedicated to sharing research, resources and examples of practice that support the effective teaching of writing in primary schools.
The Writing for Pleasure approach and programme of study advocates for the explicit teaching of the writing process within an environment that encourages young writers to take pleasure in and derive satisfaction from producing quality writing. Grammar, punctuation and sentence-level strategies are taught functionally, as tools that enable young writers to convey meaning effectively.
The website provides access to a range of lesson plans and resources, including:
- The 14 Principles of effective writing teaching with Examples of Practice to illustrate each of the 14 key principles.
- Class Writing Projects: Writing units for individual year groups that cover different genres and come with comprehensive teacher notes, booklists and other photocopiable resources.
- A complete programme of study from EYFS to KS2.
- Grammar Mini-Lessons:and Sentence Mini-Lessons.
- A Guide to Pupil Conferencing: How to provide timely and constructive feedback on pupils’ writing.
- A range of CPD ebooks
- Audits and pupil surveys to enable teachers to assess their current writing provision.
- Research reports and articles on effective practice.
- Writing for Pleasure posters for the classroom.
Cost: £5.95 for individual Class Writing Projects and CPD ebooks. £28.50 for an individual teacher licence and £400 for a whole school licence. Other resources are free.
About The Writing for Pleasure Centre: The Writing for Pleasure Centre was set up by experienced primary school teachers Felicity Ferguson and Ross Young. They now convene the UKLA Teaching Writing Special Interest Group and work full-time on researching and promoting ways to teach writing in an effective and pleasurable way.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- The Writing for Pleasure approach provides a cohesive pedagogy based on extensive scientific research into the most effective writing instruction.
- Teachers can share their own Examples of Practice and become part of the Writing for Pleasure community.
- CPD and training packages are available from the Writing for Pleasure team.
- Active presence on social media through their Twitter account (@WritingRocks_17) and Facebook group.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!