Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids, CPD resource
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
The Writing for Pleasure Centre is dedicated to sharing research, resources and examples of practice that support the effective teaching of writing in primary schools.
The Writing for Pleasure approach advocates explicit teaching of the writing process within an environment that encourages young writers to take pleasure in and derive satisfaction from their writing. Grammar and punctuation are taught functionally, as tools that enable young writers to convey meaning effectively.
The website provides access to:
- The Writing for Pleasure Manifesto: Outlines the 14 key principles underpinning the Writing for Pleasure approach.
- Examples of Practice to illustrate each of the 14 key principles.
- Class Writing Projects: Writing activities for individual year groups that cover different genres and come with comprehensive teacher notes, book lists and other resources.
- Grammar Mini-Lessons: How to embed the teaching of grammar as part of the process of writing effectively.
- A Guide to Pupil Conferencing: How to provide timely and constructive feedback on pupils’ writing.
- Audits and pupil surveys to enable teachers to assess their current writing provision.
- Research reports and articles on effective practice.
- Writing for Pleasure posters for the classroom.
Cost: £5.95 for a Class Writing Project, the Grammar mini-lessons and the Guide to Pupil-Conferencing. Other resources are free.
About The Writing for Pleasure Centre: The Writing for Pleasure Centre was set up by experienced primary school teachers Felicity Ferguson and Ross Young. They now convene the UKLA Teaching Writing Special Interest Group and work full-time on researching and promoting ways to teach writing in an effective and pleasurable way.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- The Writing for Pleasure approach provides a cohesive pedagogy based on extensive scientific research into the most effective writing instruction.
- Teachers can share their own Examples of Practice and become part of the Writing for Pleasure community.
- CPD and training packages are available from the Writing for Pleasure team.
- Active presence on social media, including a monthly #WritingRocks Twitter chat session on the first Wednesday of the month at 8pm (@WritingRocks_17).
- Writer-teachers can share their writing and comment on others’ work on the #WritersByNight website.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!