Resource type: Competition
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
Young Writers runs themed poetry and creative writing competitions for nursery, primary and secondary schools throughout the academic year. The competitions are free to enter and all entries are read and reviewed by an editorial panel. There is no limit to the number of entries that a school can submit.
Entries that meet the required selection criteria are published in regional anthologies. Overall competition winners are chosen from the published entries, with prizes for both pupils and their schools.
Young Writers provides free teaching resources to support each competition, including detailed lesson plans linked to the National Curriculum and pupil planning sheets. Entries can be submitted by email or by post, or teachers can register to upload pupil entries via the free Online Writing Portal.
About Young Writers: Young Writers is a division of Bonacia Ltd. It was established in 1991 with the aim of encouraging young people to engage in creative writing.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- A great opportunity for young writers to see their work in print.
- Every participating school receives a free copy of the anthology its pupils feature in.
- All pupils who enter receive a sticker and bookmark, with certificates of merit for young writers chosen for publication.
- Prizes vary from competition to competition but can include large cash prizes for schools and book tokens for pupils.
- Additional online resources include glossaries of poetry terms and poetry types.