Resource type: Assessment and progression
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4
Region(s): All of UK
EAL Star is an online assessment tool created to help primary and secondary schools carry out initial assessments for EAL students and monitor and track their progress. The platform provides an EAL register that allows schools to view data on all of their students in one place. A performance dashboard provides a range of reports that can be downloaded and shared with relevant stakeholders.
The platform provides online testing for listening, speaking and reading and downloadable tests for writing. The tests are standardised against the DfE proficiency scale and test results are automatically added to a pupil’s profile.
Cost: Starting from £105 per year for up to 20 students.
About EAL Star: EAL Star was created by experienced EAL consultant Beth Southern. Beth is also the founder of Inclusion Hub, which provides high-quality resources to support EAL learners and pupils with SEND in the mainstream classroom.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- A two week free trial for up to 35 students is available.
- The individual pupil profiles allow schools to capture a wide range of information that can be shared with TAs and teachers to support learning.
- The online assessment system uses rolling average scoring that will intuitively end a test once it becomes too difficult for a pupil.
- ‘Next Steps’ guidance is provided for each level of proficiency with activities and strategies to support pupils .
- Subscribers to EAL Star receive a discount for sister site EAL Hub, which provides a wide range of scaffolding resources for EAL learners.