Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4
Region(s): All of UK
The Jhalak Children’s & YA Prize is a prize for the best book published in the UK by a British or British resident BAME writer. It covers books for young people of all ages and is open to titles from all genres – picture books, graphic novels, fiction, non-fiction and poetry.
The winner is chosen by a panel of judges made up of authors from the BAME community.
- The shortlist will be announced on 18th April 2023.
- The 2023 winner will be announced on 25th May.
About the Jhalak Prize: The Jhalak Prize was founded in 2016 by authors Sunny Singh and Nikesh Shukla, and the not-for-profit organisation Media Diversified. Its sister prize, the Jhalak Children’s & YA Prize was founded in 2020. Both prizes aim to support and celebrate British authors of colour and highlight the need for more work by BAME writers to be published.
- The Diverse Book Awards are awarded to the best inclusive fiction books published for children and Young Adults in the UK.
- Explore the Reflecting Realities section of the website for more resources to help you build an inclusive and representative library.
- For a full list of children’s book awards, click here.