Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids, Books, ebooks and audiobooks
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4
Region(s): All of UK
PENpal is a device that plays back audio when it touches pen-enabled books, posters or printed material to provide a multi-sensory reading experience. PENpal works by reading micro barcodes in sound spots embedded in the printed page.
PENpal can be used to listen to over 1o00 books and posters from dual language publisher Mantra Lingua in both English and one of 60+ languages.
You can also use PENpal to record your own audio and then add it to any book or printed page using Mantra Lingua’s recordable sticky labels.
Cost: from £80 ex VAT.
About Mantra Lingua: Mantra Lingua is a UK-based publishing house and the world’s largest publisher of dual language books. It combines the printed word with sound-enabling technology to supply bilingual resources around the world.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- The audio files for all Mantra Lingua’s dual language books are available to download for free using their Freelink software.
- Each PENpal comes with access to a range of training videos to help you get started quickly.
- ClassroomPEN is a bluetooth version of PENpal that connects to external speakers, enabling you to bring sound to your whole class.
- The recording function is a great way for children to build confidence in storytelling and speaking.
- The recordable labels allow teachers to develop differentiated resources tailored to the needs of individual pupils.
- Make recordings of your pupils’s reading with PENpal and record their progress with the Oral Reading Record.
- Mantra Lingua also offers a range of sound-enabled posters that can be used with the PENpal to provide translations of key terms from the National Curriculum.