Resource type: CPD course
Price band: ££££
Key stage: KS1
Region(s): All of UK
Reading Recovery training equips teachers to deliver the Reading Recovery programme in their schools.
The training is divided into two components: an Initial Professional Development course followed by an annual Continual Professional Development course. All training courses are delivered by Reading Recovery Teacher Leaders at local training centres across the UK and Ireland.
The Initial Professional Development course is aimed at primary school teachers with at least two years’ experience in teaching children aged 5-7 to read and write. It is delivered in 20 x half-day sessions spread across a full school year and includes:
- An in-depth understanding of children’s learning and early literacy acquisition.
- How to assess and overcome literacy learning barriers.
- How to support progress in reading by identifying suitable texts that follow an appropriate gradient of challenge.
- How to achieve accelerated progress in writing.
- How to monitor and report on the effectiveness and impact of intervention.
- How to work with parents to support their child’s progress.
- Full accreditation from the UCL Institute of Education.
To remain accredited with the UCL Institute of Education, Reading Recovery teachers must take an annual Continuing Professional Development course designed to deepen their knowledge and extend and refine their skills.
Cost: IPD course £2940 (VAT free). CPD course £1144 per year (VAT free).
About Reading Recovery Europe: Reading Recovery Europe is part of the UCL Institute of Education. Its aim is to promote literacy education and enable all children to achieve excellence in literacy. Reading Recovery is its flagship programme.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Reading Recovery is an internationally recognised course.
- Reading Recovery training can be paid for using Pupil Premium funding.
- Reading Recovery teachers are highly skilled literacy experts who can share their knowledge with staff and help improve literacy outcomes across the whole school.
- A Reading Recovery teacher can help reduce the need for costly special educational needs services.