Resource type: Event
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
School Diversity Week is an annual celebration of LGBT+ equality in education. It is designed to make schools and colleges safer and more welcoming for pupils who are LGBT+ or who have LGBT+ families. In 2024 School Diversity Week runs from 24th to 28th June.
School Diversity Week is run by the charity Just Like Us. They provide a range of free resources for schools to support School Diversity Week:
- Access to free toolkits for primary and secondary schools that include posters, reading lists, cross-curricular lesson plans and ideas for themed assemblies.
- Form time activities and quizzes for easy wins to promote LGBT+ inclusion in secondary schools.
Cost: Resources are free with registration.
About Just Like Us: Just Like Us is a LGBT+ charity for young people with a mission to champion LGBT+ equality. The charity runs a number of programmes across the UK to raise awareness and support young LGBT+ people in schools and in the workplace.
- Just Like Us also offers School Talks where young adult ambassadors aged 18-25 go into secondary schools and colleges to talk about their experience of growing up LGBT+. Talks can be for any size of group and last up to one hour. Cost £100.
- The Pride Group programme provides support for schools interested in setting up a pupil-led group that provides a safe space for LGBT+ and ally young people to meet in their secondary school or college. The programme provides toolkits, virtual training sessions and topical LGBT+ resources through the year. Cost £99 + VAT per year.
- Scottish Book Trust has recommendations for books that explore LGBTQ+ themes for KS2 and KS3, as well as a list of picture books that celebrate LGBT+ families for younger readers.
- Find a selection of middle grade books that feature LGBTQ+ characters from Book Trust here.
- Explore a collection of 50 LGBT+ titles, ranging from picture books to YA novels from book recommendation site LoveReading4Kids.
- Download free resources for KS1 and KS2 from the National Literacy Trust. The KS1 resources are based on the book Grandad’s Camper by Harry Woodgate and the KS2 resources are based on Benjamin Dean’s The Secret Sunshine Project. Find other LGBTQ+ book recommendations for children aged between 0 and 16 from the National Literacy Trust here.
- Find recommendations for LGBT+ poets from the past as well as contemporary LGBT+ poetry anthologies that can be used in secondary schools on the Poetry Society website.
- A New Chapter, Letterbox Library and Little Box of Books are booksellers that specialise in books that celebrate diversity and challenge stereotypes.