Resource type: Book awards
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): England - Greater London
The Spark! School Book Awards are awarded to books that make reading an exciting and enjoyable experience for primary-aged pupils in London and neighbouring regions. There are four award categories:
- Picture fiction for 3-5 year-olds.
- Picture fiction for 6-11 year-olds.
- Fiction for 7-9 year-olds.
- Fiction for 9-11 year-olds.
A shortlist for each category is selected by a panel of local teachers, educationalists and librarians but the winners in each category are chosen by pupils from participating schools.
The awards are open to any school with primary-aged pupils and schools can help choose the winning books for as many of the award categories as they like. Participating schools will receive:
- A free set of the shortlisted titles for the relevant category along with access to assorted classroom resources.
- Access to at least one online author event per shortlisted book, plus a bespoke introductory video.
- The opportunity for pupils to enter a range of Spark! School Book Award competitions.
- Access to the online Award Ceremony in July.
- To participate schools must register before the end of the autumn term.
- Voting opens with the announcement of the shortlist in mid January and closes at the end of June.
- The winners are announced at an online Book Awards Ceremony in July.
Cost: £70 for each award category that schools participate in (schools in the Boroughs of Richmond and Kingston upon Thames are eligible for a £15 discount).
About Spark! School Book Awards: The Spark! School Book Awards are an independent set of awards supported by Achieving for Children and the Boroughs of Richmond and Kingston upon Thames.
- Participating schools can enter the Spark! School of the Year Award and win a dedicated trophy plus £100 of books for their school.
- Find past winners and shortlisted titles here.
- Alongside the awards, The Spark! School Book Awards run a JustGiving book fund that gifts books to disadvantaged local children.
- Other book awards that offer an opportunity for children to vote for their favourite title(s) include the Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Shadowers’ Choice Awards, the Excelsior Award, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Laugh Out Loud Book Awards, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Awards, the SLA Information Book – Children’s Choice Awards, and the Young People’s Book Prize.
- Other picture book awards include the Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Kate Greenaway Medal, the Klaus Flugge Prize, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Award, the UKLA Book Awards and the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize.
- The Laugh Out Loud Book Awards and The Alligator’s Mouth Award are two other awards that celebrate younger fiction.
- For a full list of children’s book awards, click here.