Resource type: Book awards
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): England - Greater London
The Spark! School Book Awards are awarded to books that make reading an exciting and enjoyable experience for primary-aged pupils. There are four award categories:
- Picture fiction for early readers
- Fiction for 7+
- Fiction for 9+
- Guest category – this category will change every year
A shortlist for each category is selected by a panel of teachers, educationalists and librarians but the winners in each category are chosen by pupils from participating schools.
The awards are open to any school with primary-aged pupils and schools can help choose the winning books for as many of the award categories as they like. Participating schools will receive:
- A free set of the shortlisted titles for the relevant category along with access to assorted classroom resources.
- Access to at least one online author event per shortlisted book, plus a bespoke introductory video.
- Access to the online author events from previous years.
- The opportunity for pupils to enter a range of Spark! School Book Award competitions.
- Access to the online Award Ceremony in July.
- To participate in the 2022-23 awards, schools must register by 30th November 2022.
- The shortlist will be announced in early January.
- Voting opens in mid May and will close in early June 2023.
- The winners will be announced at an online Book Awards Ceremony in mid June.
Cost: £70 for each award category that schools participate in (early bird discount of £55 for previous participants available until October 21st).
About Spark! School Book Awards: The Spark! School Book Awards is a registered charity, working in partnership with The Open University to inspire young readers everywhere.
- Participating schools can enter the Spark! School of the Year Award and win a dedicated trophy plus £100 of books for their school.
- Find past winners and shortlisted titles here.
- The Spark! School Book Awards also run a JustGiving book fund that allows participating schools to apply for copies of the shortlisted books to gift to children who might otherwise not have access to them.
- Other book awards that offer an opportunity for children to vote for their favourite title(s) include The Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Shadowers’ Choice Awards, the Excelsior Award, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Laugh Out Loud Book Awards, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Awards, the SLA Information Book – Children’s Choice Awards, and the Young People’s Book Prize.
- Other picture book awards include The Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Yoto Kate Greenaway Medal, the Klaus Flugge Prize, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Award, the UKLA Book Awards and the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize.
- The Laugh Out Loud Book Awards and The Alligator’s Mouth Award are two other awards that celebrate younger fiction.
- For a full list of children’s book awards, click here.