Reading for Pleasure Research Project
Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids, CPD resource
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4
Region(s): All of UK
The Reading for Pleasure research project undertaken by the Open University and UK Literacy Association examined both children’s and teachers’ reading lives in order to establish effective ways to support Reading for Pleasure in schools.
The research identified five key themes:
- Teachers’ knowledge of children’s literature and other texts.
- Teachers’ knowledge of children’s reading practices.
- Reading for Pleasure pedagogy.
- Reading teachers: teachers who read and readers who teach.
- Reading communities.
The Reading for Pleasure website provides access to all the research findings alongside a range of supporting resources, including:
- Children’s reading surveys and forms to help review your current Reading for Pleasure practice.
- Practical ideas that can be implemented in the classroom.
- Examples of practice from other teachers.
- Links to further research and articles.
- Information about how to join an OU/UKLA Teachers’ Reading Group.
About The Open University: The Open University provides world-leading, flexible, part-time study, supported distance and open learning for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
About UK Literacy Association: The UKLA is a registered charity dedicated to informing and supporting all those concerned with the development of language, literacy and communication.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- Teachers can set up a free account to upload and share their own examples of practice, or save their favourite examples from other teachers.
- The Texts and Authors section of the website includes interviews with top children’s authors as well as recommended reading lists.
- Regular book knowledge sharing sessions on Twitter using the hashtag #OURfPBookBlether. Find the book recommendations from the latest series covering history, maths, science and geography here.
Visit the resource
Contact this resource provider
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!