Yoto Carnegie Shadowing Scheme
Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
The Yoto Carnegie Shadowing Scheme provides the opportunity for young readers to shadow the judging process for two of the UK’s most prestigious children’s book awards – the Yoto Carnegie Medal for Writing and the Yoto Carnegie Medal for Illustration (previously the Kate Greenaway Award)
Shadowing groups read and discuss the shortlisted titles, take part in online book-related activities, and cast their vote for the Shadowers’ Choice Awards.
The Shadowing Scheme is designed to be flexible, with books to enjoy with children aged 5 to 18 years. It can be used to promote reading for pleasure, to extend able readers, or to help engage reluctant readers. Group Leaders are free to run their shadowing group in the way that works best for their setting.
The Shadowing Website provides a range of free supporting resources, including:
- Advice and ideas to support Group Leaders.
- Challenges set by shortlisted authors and illustrators.
- Reading Resources and teaching notes to accompany all the shortlisted titles.
- Downloadable publicity materials, including posters and bookmarks.
Group Leaders must register their group each year. Register by Friday 10th February to receive a free 2023 publicity pack.
- Registration for the 2023 Shadowing Scheme opens in November.
- Shadowing begins with the launch of the shortlist on 17th March 2023 and runs through to June.
- Voting for the Shadower’s Choice Award will open in May.
- The winners of the 2023 Shadowers’ Choice Award will be announced in June alongside the winners of the 2023 Yoto Carnegie Medals for Writing and Illustration.
Cost: Free with registration.
About CILIP: CILIP is the UK’s library and information association. They work to develop and improve library and information services and to support and advocate for information professionals and librarians.
- Official book supplier for the awards, Scholastic, is hosting a week of free virtual events to celebrate the Yoto Carnegies shortlists, starting on Monday 27th March. See the the schedule and register for an event here.
- Accessible versions of the shortlisted books are available for print disabled readers from the RNIB and Calibre Audio.
- Other book awards that offer an opportunity for children to vote for their favourite title(s) include The Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the Excelsior Award, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Laugh Out Loud Book Awards, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Awards, the SLA Information Book – Children’s Choice Awards, the Spark! School Book Awards, and the Young People’s Book Prize.
- For a full list of children’s book awards, click here.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!