Yoto Carnegie Medals
Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
The Yoto Carnegies are the UK’s oldest and most prestigious children’s book awards. There are two awards:
- The Yoto Carnegie Medal for Writing (previously known as the Carnegie Medal) is awarded for an outstanding book written in English for children and young people.
- The Yoto Carnegie Medal for Illustration (previously known as the Kate Greenaway Medal) is awarded for an outstanding book in terms of illustration for children and young people.
The Yoto Carnegie Greenaway Awards are managed by CILIP and judged by children’s librarians across the UK. However, the Yoto Carnegie Shadowing Scheme provides the opportunity for young readers to shadow the judging process and vote for their favourite titles in the Shadowers’ Choice Awards.
Click here to see the winners of last year’s awards.
- Schools can register for the Shadowing Scheme from November.
- The 2023 shortlists will be announced on 17th March and Shadowing begins.
- The winners of the Yoto Carnegie Medals 2023 will be announced on 21st June.
About CILIP: CILIP is the UK’s library and information association. The charity works to develop and improve library and information services and to support and advocate for information professionals and librarians.
About Yoto: Yoto is a screen-free audio platform designed to enable children to access stories, songs, radio and other audio content safely and securely. It was listed as one of Time’s Best Inventions of the Year 2020.
- The Yoto Carnegiess website provides a wide range of free resources to support the Shadowing Scheme.
- Official book supplier for the awards, Scholastic, are offering a 35% discount and free delivery on packs of both the long and shortlisted titles. Order the longlist pack by the 10th February and the shortlist pack by 9th March to receive your books on the day of the relevant announcement.
- Accessible editions of the shortlisted titles for both awards will be available from the RNIB and Calibre Audio.
- Find a list of past winners and supporting resources here.
- Other book awards that offer an opportunity for children to vote for their favourite title(s) include The Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the Excelsior Award, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Laugh Out Loud Book Awards, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Awards, the SLA Information Book – Children’s Choice Awards, the Spark! School Book Awards, and the Young People’s Book Prize.
- For a full list of children’s book awards, click here.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!