Resource type: Catch-up intervention, CPD course
Price band: ££
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3
Region(s): All of UK
Catch Up® Literacy is a structured one-to-one reading intervention designed to improve the outcomes of learners who struggle with literacy.
Catch Up® Literacy uses a book-based approach that supports both word recognition and comprehension processes. The programme is delivered by a trained adult in 15-minute, one-to-one sessions that take place twice a week. It is suitable for all struggling readers aged 6-14 whose reading age is significantly below their chronological age.
To deliver the Catch Up® programme, all adults must attend the three x two-hour Catch Up® training sessions. These are currently only available online. There is a regular programme of online training, but schools can also arrange for their own online training course for a minimum of five attendees or can book face-to-face training for groups of 10 or more.
Alongside the training, there is also a package of resources to support the delivery of the Catch Up® intervention, which includes access to the Catch Up® website and the online progress tracking tool.
Cost: £450/per person. Bundle offers also available for groups of trainees from one school.
About Catch Up: Catch Up® is the working name of the The Caxton Trust, a not-for-profit charity that aims to address literacy and numeracy difficulties that contribute to underachievement.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- The Catch Up® programme is founded on rigorous research and there is evidence that struggling readers achieve more than double the progress of typically developing readers.
- Catch Up® training can be paid for using Pupil Premium funding.
- The Catch Up® programme is designed to be used alongside a school’s existing reading books with an online database that maps more than 10,000 books to the relevant Catch Up® literacy level. There are also Catch Up® starter book collections available.
- Catch Up® is available in Welsh medium.
- A numeracy intervention – Catch Up® Numeracy – designed to be used with struggling learners aged 6-14 is also available.