Resource type: CPD course
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, EYFS
Region(s): All of UK
This free online CPD course is designed to help practitioners develop and promote a Reading for Pleasure culture in their schools.
Over eight modules, the course explores the latest research around Reading for Pleasure and its impact on children’s lives; outlines an effective Reading for Pleasure framework; and provides tips and strategies to help promote reader engagement. The modules include:
- The importance of childhood reading
- Being a reader
- The power of narrative
- Knowing your texts, knowing your readers
- Reading for Pleasure pedagogy
- Building reading communities in school
- Supporting children as readers at home
- Enticing reluctant readers and addressing challenges
Developing Reading for Pleasure: Engaging Young Readers is available through The Open University’s OpenLearn platform, which is designed to provide a flexible learning experience that can be fitted around work or other commitments.
About The Open University: The Open University provides world-leading, flexible, part-time study, supported distance and open learning for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- You can start the course at any time and work at your own pace.
- Students can earn a Statement of Participation and an OU Digital Badge to show that they have successfully completed the course.
- The course has been written by a team of Open University lecturers and professors, including Dr Lucy Rodriguez Leon, Professor Teresa Cremin, Dr Helen Hardy and Dr Sarah Jane Mukherjee.