Resource type: CPD course
Price band: £
Key stage: KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
The English & Media Centre offers a varied programme of online and face-to-face CPD courses for teachers of both English and Media Studies in secondary schools and Further Education settings. Online courses are delivered via Zoom and face-to-face courses take place at EMC’s offices in north London.
Courses range from short twilight sessions to full day events and cover all aspects of the English and Media Studies curriculum. A selection of the courses available is given below. For a full listing of EMC’s current programme, please click through to their website:
- What kinds of texts work best at KS3?: Investigating the value of including contemporary children’s and YA novels in the KS3 curriculum alongside canonical texts.
- How to Promote Reading for Pleasure: Exploring ways in which schools can go beyond quizzes and certificates to promote a genuine love of reading in as many students as possible.
- Reading Comprehension – what matters: Examining why students struggle with comprehension and practical strategies to overcome this.
- Teaching grammar in context at KS3: Approaches to grammar teaching that also help to develop reading and writing.
- Teaching writing for GCSE: Ideas and strategies to engage students and help them become confident and independent writers.
Cost: Webinars start from £45 for a twilight session.
About English & Media Centre: The English & Media Centre is an independent charity with over 40 years’ experience of providing evidence-based CPD training and high quality resources to support teachers and promote best practice in all aspects of English and Media teaching.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- The EMC advisory team are all experienced teachers who continue to maintain strong links with schools.
- All courses combine the latest research with the experience and judgements of teachers.
- Participants will come away with practical ideas and strategies to implement in the classroom.
- The EMC also produces a number of award-winning publications, including poetry and short-story anthologies for KS3, study editions of GCSE set texts, and A level guides.
- Check out the EMC’s Christmas and Summer Reads booklists with recommendations for both teachers and KS3 students.