Mentally Healthy Schools
From Anna Freud Centre
Resource type: Lesson plans and teaching aids, CPD resource
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
Mentally Healthy Schools is the UK’s first mental health information and resource hub for schools. The website provides free access to hundreds of mental health resources to help school staff understand, talk about and support good mental health in their school.
The website is divided into five sections:
- Getting started: provides guidance for teachers and leaders to understand mental health and its place in schools.
- Resource library: contains quality-assured lesson plans, classroom activities, assembly plans and PSHE resources that cover general mental health and wellbeing, as well as specific mental health topics.
- Risk and protective factors: provides information on the issues that can undermine a child’s mental health and how to identify pupils that may be at risk.
- Mental health needs: identifies specific types of mental health difficulties and ways that schools can support pupils’ recovery.
- Whole-school approach: provides information and resources to help develop a support network that encompasses all members of the school community.
About Mentally Healthy Schools: Mentally Healthy Schools was originally developed as a collaboration between the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families, Young Minds, Place2Be and The Royal Foundation. In April 2020, the Anna Freud Centre took full responsibility for developing and delivering the website.
Literacy Hive Likes
- All the resources have been quality assured by mental health experts at the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families.
- Teachers can create their own library of useful links and resources by registering on the site. Registration also provides access to a monthly newsletter containing guidance and toolkits curated by the Mentally Healthy Schools team.
- A free one-stop site providing advice, information and resources to support mental health in primary and secondary schools.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!