Resource type: Online learning and apps
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
The Poetry by Heart website provides access to hundreds of poems that lend themselves to being spoken aloud for teachers and pupils to explore.
The selected poems span six centuries and can be searched in a number of ways.
- Four Timeline Anthologies for ages 7+, 11+, 14+ and 16+ allow users to explore poems chronologically with filters provided to help refine a search.
- Poetry Allsorts provides a random selection of poems hidden behind colourful tiles to encourage younger students to explore and discover new poems.
- First World War Poetry Showcase
Individual poems can all be viewed in full and many come with introductory notes, short poet biographies and links to audio recordings or videos of past performances from the Poetry by Heart competition.
About Poetry by Heart: Poetry by Heart was founded in 2012 by former UK Poet Laureate (1999-2009) Andrew Motion and educator Julie Blake as a way to encourage young people to explore and engage with poetry. It is now a collaboration between The Full English; The Poetry Archive; The Poetry Society; Forward Arts Foundation/National Poetry Day; the English Association; the Centre for Literacy in Primary Education; the National Association for the Teaching of English; Homerton College, University of Cambridge; Shakespeare’s Globe and Oxford English Dictionary.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- The Poetry by Heart website supports the Poetry by Heart Competition, a poetry speaking competition for schools and colleges in England.
- Watch videos of poetry performances by pupils from across the country for inspiration. There are galleries for pupils aged 7+, 11+, 14+ and 16+.