Resource type: CPD resource, CPD course
Price band: £££
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Region(s): All of UK
Talk for Writing is a framework for teaching writing that is based on the premise that children must first internalise the language patterns and structures needed to write by ‘talking the text’ and close reading of quality examples.
Talk for Writing works best as a whole school approach. Training to help schools implement the Talk for Writing approach is available from the Talk for Writing team. For the most effective results, they recommend a sequence of training and support that can be delivered in-school or online. Tailored consultancy packages are also available.
For schools interested in finding out more about the Talk for Writing approach, there are introductory sessions available at in-person conferences around the country and online. Online sessions include:
- Talk for Writing for EYFS and KS1
- Talk for Writing in KS2
- Talk for reading
- Talk for Writing in Science
- Writing Poetry Across the Primary School
- Talk for Writing at secondary level
In addition to the training packages, there are a number of Talk for Writing training centres around the country. These are schools that have successfully implemented the Talk for Writing approach and who can offer further training or the opportunity to see Talk for Writing in action in the classroom. A list of the centres is available on the Talk for Writing website.
Cost: Online courses cost from £100 + VAT. In-person conferences cost from £215 + VAT per person (10% discount for multiple bookings from one school).
About Talk for Writing: The Talk for Writing approach was developed by Pie Corbett, supported by Julia Strong. Pie Corbett is a former teacher, head teacher, lecturer and English inspector. He is also a poet, author and editor of over 250 books, including Jumpstart! Literacy. Julia Strong specialises in literacy across the curriculum in secondary schools and is the author of the highly acclaimed Talk for Writing in Secondary Schools.
Literacy Hive Likes:
- The Talk for Writing team is made up of experienced teachers, English subject leaders and consultants.
- A key aspect of the Talk for Writing approach is pupil engagement and enjoyment.
- The Talk for Writing website provides access to a number of resources, including Impact Reports and case studies, books about the Talk for Writing approach, toolkits and planning resources.