James Cropper Wainwright Prize
Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5, Adult
Region(s): All of UK
The James Cropper Wainwright Prize was set up to showcase the best writing about nature and conservation in the UK.
The annual award covers both fiction and non-fiction titles that celebrate nature, warn about the dangers facing the environment around the world and inspire readers to engage with the natural world.
There are three prize categories, including a new category for children’s books introduced in 2022:
- Nature Writing
- Writing on Conservation
- Children’s Writing on Nature and Conservation
The shortlist and winner for each category is chosen by a panel of expert judges made up of authors, booksellers, TV presenters and environmentalists.
See the 2022 winner here.
- The 2023 shortlist will be announced in July.
- The 2023 winner will be announced on 8th September.
About the James Cropper Wainwright Prize: The James Cropper Wainwright Prize is named after Alfred Wainwright, author of the iconic Pictorial Guides to the Lakeland Fells. Established in 2013, the Prize is sponsored by prestige paper innovator James Cropper PLC alongside a range of supporting partners.
- Find past winners and shortlisted titles for the James Cropper Wainwright Prize here.
- Ensure your pupils can keep up to date with environmental issues by taking out a school subscription to a junior newspaper or nature magazine. Find a selection here.
- Topical Talk provides free resources to encourage and stimulate discussion about current affairs and the news for KS2 pupils. Find a selection of their climate-related resources here.
- The Climate Fiction Writers League is a group of writers from around the world whose work aims to raise awareness of climate change. Their books include pictures books, middle grade and young adult fiction. You can find them here.
- Find further resources to help celebrate the natural world under the World Environment Day and Earth Day entries in the Literacy Year calendar.
- For a full list of children’s book awards, click here.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!