Resource type: Book awards
Price band: £
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): England - West Midlands
The Shropshire Bookfest Book Awards are bi-annual awards to find the books published in the previous two years that primary pupils in Shropshire have most enjoyed.
There are two award categories:
- The Big Book Award, voted for by children in UKS2.
- The Picture Book Award, voted for by children in KS1.
A shortlist for each category is selected by a small group of schools. Pupils from all the participating schools then vote for their favourite title or titles.
The Shropshire Bookfest Book Awards are open to all primary schools in Shropshire. Schools can enter for one or both of the award categories and each participating school will receive:
- A free set of the shortlisted titles along with a pack of accompanying classroom activities and a teacher guide.
- The opportunity for pupils to enter a range of art, creative writing and trailer competitions.
- The chance to attend the Awards Ceremony, which includes talks from all the shortlisted authors.
- To participate schools must register by the end of September. Places are limited so early booking is recommended.
- The Big Book Award shortlist is announced in early December.
- The Big Book Award project opens in January and the voting closes at the end of March.
- The Big Book Award Ceremony takes place in April.
- The shortlist for the Picture Book Award is announced in June.
- The Picture Book Award project runs through the summer term and the winners are announced in July.
Cost: £4 per child, or £10 per child if attending the Award Ceremony.
About Shropshire Bookfest: Shropshire Bookfest is a charity dedicated to inspiring, enthusing and entertaining children through literature and the arts. It was founded in 1999 and was awarded the Queen’s Award for Excellence in the Voluntary Sector in 2009.
- Shropshire Bookfest also runs Schools’ Week, a creative writing project for Shropshire primary schools that alternates with the Book Awards.
- Leading in Reading is an ambassador scheme run by Shropshire Bookfest in association with University Centre Shrewsbury. The scheme is designed to recognise and showcase Shropshire primary schools that actively promote a culture of reading for pleasure.
- Other book awards that offer an opportunity for children to vote for their favourite title(s) include the Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Shadowers’ Choice Awards, the Excelsior Award, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Laugh Out Loud Book Awards, the SLA Information Book – Children’s Choice Awards, the Spark! School Book Awards, and the Young People’s Book Prize.
- Other picture book awards include the Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Kate Greenaway Medal, the Klaus Flugge Prize, the Spark! School Book Awards, the UKLA Book Awards and the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize.