Resource type: Event
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS2, KS3, KS4
Region(s): All of UK
National Writing Day 2022 will take place on Thursday 23rd June. This annual celebration of creative writing for young people is provided by a coalition of literacy organisations and publishers, led by First Story.
The First Story website hosts a number of free resources that schools can use to engage and encourage writers of all ages and abilities. Resources include:
- Creative writing exercises and activities for primary and secondary schools from First Story and partner organisations, Arvon, the British Library , CLPE, the English & Media Centre, the Forward Arts Foundation and the National Literacy Trust .
About First Story: First Story is charity that aims to provide high quality creative writing opportunities for students in non-selective state secondary schools in low-income communities. The charity runs writers-in-residence programmes, CPD courses for teachers, regional and national events and writing competitions.
- Find additional free creative writing exercises suitable for KS3 and KS4 (National 4 and 5) students on the First Story website.
- Take a look at the Authorfy Masterclasses for tips and writing challenges from top children’s authors to keep the writing momentum going in your school.
- Young Writers run themed writing competitions all through the year with supporting resources for teachers. The deadline for this term’s competitions is 22nd July.
- Encourage pupils to take part in the Young Wild Writer Competition by writing up to 500 words relating to animal journeys. Entries can be in any genre – poem, prose, article or diary – and there are three age categories: 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16 years. The deadline for entries is midnight on 10th July 2022 and the competition will be judged by author Gill Lewis.
- There are two poetry competitions running through the summer term – The Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award and the LoveReading4Kids Poetry Prize.
- Magical Story Jars contain themed story prompt cards to inspire young writers’ imagination.
- The English and Media Centre produce illustrated creative writing workbooks for secondary pupils. Just Write and Write On each contain over 40 writing activities for pupils to choose from to explore their own creativity.
- Celebrate young people’s writing by publishing their work using the Make Our Book platform.