Klaus Flugge Prize
From Klaus Flagge Prize
Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
The Klaus Flugge Prize is awarded to the most promising and exciting newcomer to children’s picture book illustration. Picture books provide children with some of their first experience of books and reading and, as such, are vital to their development.
The award is judged by a panel of past winners, illustrators and children’s book experts.
Read our winner announcement for the 2022 Klaus Flugge Prize here.
- The 2023 shortlist will be announced on 17th May.
- The winner of this year’s Klaus Flugge Prize will be announced in September.
About the Klaus Flugge Prize: The Klaus Flugge Prize was established in 2016 to honour Klaus Flugge, founder of Andersen Press and an influential figure in children’s picture books.
- The Klaus Flugge Prize website provides access to a number of supporting resources, including interviews with the shortlisted creators and teaching notes for each shortlisted title created by CLPE.
- Watch short video introductions to each of the 2022 shortlisted titles by their creators here.
- The Power of Pictures from CLPE explores the important role that picture books play in children’s reading development. It provides free access to interviews and videos with picture book creators, alongside teaching sequences for a range of titles.
- Find a selection of high-quality picture books that can be used to support cross-curricular planning and promote critical thinking across EYFS, KS1 and KS2. The list has been compiled by Mat Tobin, Senior Lecturer at Oxford Brookes University and some of the recommendation also have accompanying lesson plans.
- Other picture book awards include The Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Yoto Kate Greenaway Medal, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Award, the Spark! School Book Awards, the UKLA Book Awards and the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize.
Visit the resource
Rate this resource
Click on the star to rate it!