Resource type: Book awards
Price band: Free
Key stage: KS1, KS2
Region(s): All of UK
The Klaus Flugge Prize is awarded to the most promising and exciting newcomer to children’s picture book illustration. Picture books provide children with some of their first experience of books and reading and, as such, are vital to their development.
The award is judged by a panel of past winners, illustrators and children’s book experts.
See the shortlist for the Klaus Flugge Prize 2022 here.
- The shortlist is announced in May.
- The winner of the 2022 Klaus Flugge Prize will be announced on 14th September.
About the Klaus Flugge Prize: The Klaus Flugge Prize was established in 2016 to honour Klaus Flugge, founder of Andersen Press and an influential figure in children’s picture books.
- Mat Tobin, Senior Lecturer at Oxford Brookes University has created a presentation featuring all the titles on the 2022 Klaus Flugge longlist with insights into the illustrations and information about the artists.
- Other picture book awards include the Bookbug Picture Book Prize, the FCBG Children’s Book Award, the Kate Greenaway Medal, the Shropshire Bookfest Book Award, the Spark! School Book Awards, the UKLA Book Awards and the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize.
- The Power of Pictures from CLPE explores the important role that picture books play in children’s reading development. It provides free access to interviews and videos with picture book creators, alongside teaching sequences for a range of titles.